Hank has been happily married to his wife, Cathy, for 42 years.
Together, they have two grown sons, Matthew, an electrical engineer, and Zachary, an orthopedic surgeon.
For nearly 38 years, the Vaupels owned, bred, and raised race horses on their family farm in Fowlerville. Growing up, Hank’s sons helped manage and run the farm. Hank and Cathy taught Matt and Zac responsibility, accountability, and the value of hard work. The farm has truly been a labor of love for the Vaupel family.
Today, the Vaupels look forward to celebrating holidays in their historic 100 year old farm house with their family that includes 2 beautiful grandchildren.
REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.
Hank earned bachelor and doctorate degrees in veterinary medicine from Michigan State University.
After college, Hank proudly served as a Captain in the United States Army from 1968-1971.
In 1972 Hank returned home to Livingston County and independently started his veterinary practice, Kern Road Veterinary Clinic, P.C., which now includes eight veterinarians and provides equine and small animal veterinary service to most of southeast and central Michigan. Hank later sold the practice yet he still continues to work on staff as a business manager.
Since 2000, Hank has served as an adjunct professor with MSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine.
COMMITTED TO COMMUNITY.
As a local elected official and business owner, Hank Vaupel has seen firsthand the negative effects that government bureaucracy, unnecessary regulation, and excessive taxes can have on economic growth and job opportunity. Hank has built a reputation of thoughtful, considerate, and common sense leadership that gets results for his community. Now, more than ever, we need this kind of effective leadership working for us in state government.
Community Leadership (partial list)
- Supervisor, Handy Township
- Secretary Village of Fowlerville DDA
- Member, Village of Fowlerville LDFA
- Board Member, Fowlerville Area Fire Authority
- Church council President, St. John’s Lutheran Church
- Former Trustee, Handy Township Board of Trustees
- Former Member, Handy Township Planning Commission
- Former Member, Livingston County Economic Development Council
- Former Member, Livingston County Extension Advisory Council
- Former Member, Equine Advisory Council of Farm Bureau
- Former Member, Fowlerville Community School Board
- Former Member, Iosco Township Planning Commission
- Former Director, Michigan Harness Horseman’s Association
- Former Director, Michigan Veterinary Medical Association
- Former Chairperson, Michigan Veterinary Medical Association Legislative Advisory Committee
- Former Chairperson and member, Michigan State Board of Veterinary Medicine